Apple are running a trade-in and recycling program for US Educational customers, which offers features such as:
- All recycled hard drives are ground into confetti-sized pieces.
- Data on all hard drives to be resold is deleted in a manner consistent with federal standards.
- Customers receive a certificate of destruction for each lot recycled through the program.
- All asset tags and other identifying information are removed prior to disposition.
- No waste from Appleâ€™s U.S. recycling program is shipped outside North America.
The last part is interesting given that the ‘waste’ wouldn’t have originally originated in North America anyway, having mostly been constructed somewhere in Asia from parts manufactured in Asia.