So, I’ve converted to the latest wordpress 2.3. Basically this involved
- If you’re using Gallery2, you may need to upgrade that to a more recent version so that your WPG2 plugin is compatible with it. Grab the latest version of the WPG2 plugin while you’re there (note that I haven’t got it working properly again yet 🙂
- Backup the MySQL database Â
mysqldump -umysqlusername -p --opt wordpress > wordpressackupfilename.sql. Or using the WordPress Export or Backup plugin. Check the backup in a text editor 🙂
- Backup the WordPress installation (
cd /Library/WebServer/Documents; mv blogname blognamebackup). Paranoia is a wonderful thing 🙂
- Upgrade WordPress by doing a subversion checkout (it’s much nicer to upgrade with subversion)
svn sw http://svn.automattic.com/wordpress/tags/2.3/
- If subversion complained about it, move wp-content/themes/classic/functions.php out of the way Â and then do the subversion checkout again to get the new version.
- Go to the WordPress plugins page. WordPress 2.3 lists outdated plugins on the plugins page. I had to download and replace widgets, akismet, google-sitemap-generator, and wpg2.
- Turn off Jerome’s Keywords and Ultimate Tag Warrior if you’re using them.
- Bizarrely I got the “Call to undefined function the_post_keytags()” from the index.php file in my default WordPress theme. I guess I’d altered it to include that call. I just edited it out from the index.php file.
- Go to Manage -> Import to import your tags from Jerome’s Keywords and/or Ultimate Tag Warrior
- Hopefully that’s it! You may need to turn off some other plugins (probably best to turn them all off then turn them back on selectively.
Write some posts!
(Yes, I know this post’s formatting is borked, I’ll fix it when I’ve upgraded this blog to 2.3 which will probably be when I’ve used it for a few more days and got comfortable with any more surprises)