Someone on a PC sends you a file and it arrives as a file called winmail.dat? Try TNEF’s Enough to extract it into a file you can hopefully use.
Month: April 2007
Reset Power Manager on MacBook and MacBook Pro
Actually, on the Intel MacBook and MacBook Pro “Power Manager” is now “System Management Controller”. Here are Apple’s instructions on how to reset the SMC.
Pics of the Octo-core Mac Pro
Engadget looks at an 8 core Mac Pro at NAB (drool warning: also has 8Gb RAM 🙂
Install dual boot via Apple Remote Desktop
Winclone lets you clone your bootcamp partition. Includes a PDF on how to install dual boot via ARD.
MacEnterprise has the second document in a series on deploying dual boot.
Cthulhu iPod cover
Just in case you’re looking for some craft ideas, have an interest in Lovecraft and an iPod, the Cthulhu iPod cover.
Google Mac downloads
I discovered that Google’s Mac download page offers:
- Google Notifier (for checking your GMail account)
- Google Desktop (for searching your hard drive)
- Google SketchUp (free 3D modeler)
- Picasa Web Albums Uploader (for uploading photos to Picasa)
- Google Earth (for your World Domination Toolkit)
- Google Toolbar (extra fruit for your browser)
My Search Zeitgeist
Those suffering the MacBook battery problem:
- macbook no batteries available
- macbook pro cross on battery icon
- mac book pro battery cross
- macbook no battery available cross
- macbook battery cross
- mac book pro no batteries available
Those wondering what “the usual lecture” is:
- we trust you have received the usual lecture from the local system
Those with Intel Xserves:
- intel xserve kernel errors
- intel xserve fans loud
Those coming to terms with local changes:
- daylight savings sucks
Those seeking enlightenment:
- dalai lama commencement speech
Those hoping to spy on people (or stop being spied on): (Hint, it’s probably hardwired to the camera)
- green light isight mac book no programs on
- isight led off
- turn off isight led
- turn off led built in isight camera light
- turning off isight led
- isight disable green light
- turning off green light on apple isight
Those who are looking in the wrong place:
- friday the 13th gifs
- what observation would help monitor a clown fish
Death of Spiderroot
It looks like the Mac OS X 10.4.9 update updates sudo such that it now no longer references “We trust you have received the usual lecture from the local System Administrator.”, probably because many people don’t have a local system administrator. Nor does it warn you that with great power comes great responsibility. Certainly there were lots of people searching on that phrase, presumably to work out what the “usual lecture” is. Now sudo gives
WARNING: Improper use of the sudo command could lead to data loss or the deletion of important system files. Please double-check your typing when using sudo. Type "man sudo" for more information. To proceed, enter your password, or type Ctrl-C to abort.
Which is probably more useful if you haven’t experienced sudo before. I also note that typing ‘help’ at the bash commandline now gives you something better than “command not found”
100 Million iPods sold
Apple has sold 100 Milliion iPods worldwide. Meanwhile Apple Australia sold 700,000 iPods last quarter.
Today’s West Australian had a red, black and white rendition of the Abbey Road cover, with them sporting iPods, as the Beatles have agreed to put their back catalog on iTunes.
Radio station links playlist to iTunes Store
According to Channel Ten news, one? some? of the radio stations on the Nova network now displays its playlist on its website along with links to the iTunes store. Can’t find the site though.