On my work machine (G5 Quad) with Mac OS X 10.4.8 and iTunes 7.0.1 and QuickTime 7.1.3 (ie the latest everything), I can repeatably get a kernel panic by
- Save anything you’re particularly fond of before you try to generate a kernel panic 🙂
- Drop the Aliens Vs Predator trailer (at least I assume it’s one of those 🙂 into iTunes’ ‘Movies’ playlist
- Start playing the movie. The small preview window will appear at the bottom of the left hand column
- Click the rightmost button under the preview window to collapse/show the preview window
- Note how things seem to be slowing down.
- Keep opening/closing the preview. Eventually the grey veil will descend and it’s time for a cleansing reboot.
- Make sure you fill in the crash report to send to Apple.