From the Mac OS X 10.5.2 release notes, here are some of my observations: User Interface:
- Apple has added a Time Machine icon to the Menu bar (it can be turned on in the Time Machne control panel)
- The menus are less translucent (who would have thought with everyone complaining that that would have been a problem) and transparency can be turned off in the Desktop & Screen Saver preference pane
- List view is back in the Stacks (presumably they got a lot of complaints), and they have a new grid view background (presumably for better visibility)
It remains to be seen if they’ve added the Size column back to the Spotlight column view though.
Support for new things (ie you may want to try plugging some old stuff that didn’t work in again to see if it does now!):
- You can now iSync Samsung D600E and D900i phones
- Airports Express and Extreme now support more printers connected via USB
- New RAW camera formats supported:
- Canon EOS 1Ds Mark III
- Canon Powershot G9
- Hasselblad CF-22
- Hasselblad CF-39
- Leaf Aptus 75s
- Nikon D3
- Nikon D300
- Sony Alpha DSLR-A700
- Supports more 3rd party routers in iChat and Back To My Mac
Interesting bugs fixed:
- Fixed a problem when ejecting a CD could write to it! (presumably instead of just ejecting it)
- Fixed a problem where the Leopard Setup Assistant would re-appear (as noted in this TidBITs article by Glenn Fleishman)
- Mail now automatically disables the (unsupported) third-party plugin GrowlMail version 1.1.2 or earlier to avoid issues.
- Addresses “accuracy issues” with the web content filter (in Parental Controls) perhaps to now block unboxing porn?
- The computer will now shut down if an automatic disk repair does not succeed during startup. (Hopefully it tells you why it just shut down?)