Leopardisation

So, despite wanting to get my copy of Leopard on the day of release (sad Mac fanboy that I am), I waited some days to install it. Some of these were because my offsite backup was offsite, and I didn’t realise its power supply and cable were also offsite 🙂

Anyway, I began the upgrade process by upgrading a PowerPC PowerBook G4 which already had a developer pre-release copy of Leopard installed. Reassuringly this installation failed, leaving the machine in an unusable state.

Buoyed with enthusiasm by this experience (well, ok it’s somewhat traditional for the release build to fail to install over a developer build), I proceeded.

Having by this time got the first bug reports on Macintouch and news of the Keychain/login update I cautiously turned on auto-login on my machine so that I didn’t need the password to get in (theoretically). I also downloaded the update. I backed up my Intel machine and ran the Leopard installer. I bravely selected the ‘Upgrade’ option rather than ‘Archive and Install’, but I was feeling lucky and wielding a backup.

The machine rebooted (alas I did it overnight so I missed the install movie) and I was in Leopard.

So, fire up Safari and… no network. Bummer.

Install the login/keychain update and reboot. Well, at least the network has come back!

So, what to do? Check out the new Finder features. Launch some Apps. Upgrade some Apps that report upgrades are available. Try AppleWorks, which quits on launch (with the recent items panel open). Eventually this is resolved some days later when I read on Macintouch that the AppleWorks Users Group suggest:

1. Quit AppleWorks and switch to the Finder.
Delete the Recent Items folder at Macintosh HD > Users > yourname > Documents > AppleWorks User Data > Starting Points.
2. Re-launch AppleWorks. AppleWorks will create a new (and empty) Recent Items folder and should then run reliably under Leopard.

Other things I noticed:

  • Arrow keys no longer work in vi in iTerm Build 0.9.5.0611. I’m sure that will affect a lot of users!
  • httpd is now actually Apache2. This means that the config file has moved from /etc/httpd.conf to /etc/apache2/httpd.conf which is where you’ll have to enable php5
  • mysql.sock appears to need to be in /var/mysql/mysql.sock by default. I did

    sudo mkdir /var/mysql
    sudo ln -s /tmp/mysql.sock /var/mysql/

    after which mysql once more behaved.

  • My cups-pdf printer has vanished into the void. I haven’t tried reinstalling and there doesn’t seem to be mention on the site about Leopard support, so ignoring that one for the moment
  • “fink selfupdate” seems to have happily updated fink for most things
  • Fired up Mail.App and it proceeded to attempt to update my mailboxes. It then complained at one stage that it couldn’t, so it switched to importing my mail. I’m not sure what difference this made, but it seemed to work eventually.
  • I had the cursor vanish once, but it got better and came back
  • The grammar checker detects double words such as “the the”, but doesn’t let you hit the ‘Change’ button to just fix it, which would seem logical.
  • Speed comparison wise, Leopard seems a little more responsive. Must be leveraging the GPU that does it.
  • Spaces is hard to get the hang of.
  • The dock does not seem to be worth the attention lavished on complaining about it
  • The firewall was down. Turning it back on was a good idea
  • Although the Sharing Preference pane showed “mycomputername.local”, clicking the edit button actually revealed that the name was in fact “Macintosh.local”, which conflicted with 3 other machines on our network as I found when I opened the laptop at work 🙂
  • Address Book not being able to send/receive SMS messages via BlueTooth sucks. Hopefully that functionality will be re-enabled shortly.
  • iChat’s new effects are cool. I can’t wait for the hologram effect 🙂 “Help me Obiwan Kenobi, you’re my only hope!”
  • Coverflow is cool for paging through those piles of PDF documents generated by the ScanSnap S500M and ReadIRIS
  • Searching by filename is easier in Spotlight, yay!
  • The build number is 9A581. Java is version

    java version “1.5.0_13”
    Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0_13-b05-237)
    Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.5.0_13-119, mixed mode, sharing)

  • After a cursory look, NeoOffice seems to work. Eclipse seems to work ok.
  • Other mission critical apps that will need an update are Missing Sync and Filemaker

2 thoughts on “Leopardisation”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *